Two Day Workshop Schedule
5+ Hours of Flight Time
Not flying drones yet? Check out our Drone Pilot Training Courses
Part 107 Certificate
- Lesson 1: Intro to Mapping & Modeling
- Lesson 2: Aerial Photogrammetry
- Lesson 3: Getting Started with DroneDeploy
Flight Session 1:Collecting 2D Map Data
- Lesson 4: 3D Modeling
- Lesson 5: Using the Map Engine
Flight Session 2:Collecting 3D Modeling Data
Data Analysis and Accuracy
- Lesson 6: Analyzing Your Data
- Lesson 7: Map Accuracy
- Lesson 8: Ground Control Points
Flight Session 3:Using Ground Control Points
- Lesson 9: Exporting Your Data
- Lesson 10: The DroneDeploy App Market
- Types of Mapping Data
- Types of Mapping Products
- Platform and Payload Considerations
- Mapping for Construction
- Mapping for Agricultural Uses
- Mapping for Engineering and Architecture
- Principles of Photogrammetry
- Photogrammetric Geometry
- Aerial Triangulation
- Photogrammetric Procedures
- Common Coverage Errors
- Spatial Reference Systems
- DroneDeploy Account Levels
- Autonomous Flight Planning
- Collecting Nadir Imagery for 2D Mapping
- Collecting Oblique Imagery for 3D Modeling
- Orbit at End of Mission
- DJI Point of Interest
- Manual Collection
- Map Engine Processing Options
- Map Engine Data Requirements
- Uploading Datasets
- Accessing the Final Product
- Common Issues in Low Quality Maps
- Layers of a DroneDeploy Map
- Analyzing Evaluation Data
- Performing Volumetric Calculations
- Cut, Fill, and Volumetric Measurement Calculation
- Lowest Point and Best Fit Base Planes
- Adjusting Histogram to Change Elevation Values
- Relative vs. Absolute Accuracy
- Project Accuracy Requirements
- Survey-Grade Accuracy
- DroneDeploy Accuracy Levels
- Factors that Improve Map Accuracy
- Techniques to Improve Map Accuracy
- Creating GCPs
- Placing GCPs
- Utilizing the GCP Checklist
- Submitting GCPs in DroneDeploy
- Export Options in DroneDeploy
- Static Layer Export Procedures
- Custom Layer Export Procedures
- Sharing Your Map
- App Market for Enhanced DroneDeploy Capabilities
- AirMap App
- Linear Mapping App
- Overlap Optimizer App
- PDF Annotation Report
- EZRoof App
- Quick Map Overlays App
- Tensor Flight App
- GCP Volume Analysis
- KML & SHP Import
- Thimble App
- AirData UAV Sync App
Improve Efficiency. Increase Safety. Reduce Costs.
Construction, engineering and agriculture are just a few of the industries that have begun to use drones to collect mapping and modeling data. High-quality maps can be produced more quickly and cheaply than with traditional methods, and the demand for drone mapping services is growing rapidly. This workshop is designed to teach students how to use the latest drone mapping technology to collect, analyze and export high-quality mapping and modeling data for commercial use.
Our Aerial Mapping Workshop Flight Instructors
Our instructors use their real-world industry experience to help you succeed in mapping and modeling.
Alex brings over 20 years of experience as a photographer and design director to the commercial drone industry. He owns and operates Hawkeye Workshop, an aerial photography company serving the film, real estate, and construction industries in Southern California. He also holds Sport Pilot and Remote Pilot certificates from the FAA.
Karl designs and implements multi-camera sensor systems for drone platforms and utilizes his commercial remote pilot privileges almost daily. He has used drones for a wide variety of industrial applications, including tower inspection, survey/mapping, and roof inspection. Karl is also licensed commercially in single and multi-engine airplanes.
Aerial Mapping and Modeling Workshop FAQs
The Aerial Mapping and Modeling Workshop is an advanced training course. To attend the Workshop, we require students to understand how to fly a drone safely and to have already acquired a Part 107 Certificate. The class does not teach about how to fly a drone. If you have not flown before and have not passed the Part 107 exam, we recommend that you take our Drone Pilot Training course and/or Part 107 Test Prep course at least 4 weeks prior to attending the Workshop.
If you have an interest in getting aerial mapping jobs, this Workshop is a great way to get started. There is a lot of very specific information that you will need to understand to perform an aerial mapping mission. This course is designed to get you started. We will also point you in the right direction of companies hiring aerial mappers.
We will announce additional workshop dates throughout the year. All of our Workshops are also available to be taught as a private group training for an enterprise or government entity. Contact our sales team to learn more.
This class is great for someone new to mapping and also someone with mapping experience looking to get into aerial mapping.
Our instructor will provide a drone for you to fly in the class. For insurance and liability purposes, students MUST use the provided equipment or provide proof of liability insurance with DARTdrones LLC named as an additional insured prior to the course.
The Aerial Mapping and Modeling Workshop may have between 6 – 30 people in the course. For every 12 students, we will add an additional instructor to ensure ample flight time.
Although the course will not focus on flight time (as students should have a comprehensive understanding of how to fly prior to the course), the instructors will take the students outdoors on four occasions to conduct a real time Aerial Mapping and Modeling mission.
Join our community of drone experts!
Subscribe to our newsletter to stay up to date with drone industry trends, events, and expert advice.