Learn to effectively gather, analyze, and export mapping data.
Develop the skills you need to fly drones for mapping missions in our Aerial Mapping and Modeling Live Virtual Workshop.
- July 15 - Aug 54 weeks | Thursday Evenings
7:00 - 9:30 pm ETLive Online
- Aug 10 - 314 weeks | Tuesday Evenings
7:00 - 9:30 pm ETLive Online
Organizations who trust our training:
After this course, you’ll be qualified to use your drone to collect datasets for photogrammetric processing. Photogrammetry is used to produce orthomosaic maps and 3D models that provide:
- Distance, elevation, area and volume measurements
- Interactive three dimensional representations of land areas and structures
- Various analytical tools using artificial intelligence including automated counts and stockpile management
- Insight into plant and crop health
- Traffic accident and crime scene documentation
- Automated tracking of changes affecting a project site
- High resolution imagery of large areas or complexes
Why does a new aerial mapper need this course? The ability to collect imagery that will be used for photogrammetric processing has become a critical skill for professional drone operators. The interactive orthomosaic products produced using photogrammetry provide tremendous amounts of actionable information, and companies that are hiring drone service providers expect them to understand the critical components of these datasets.
There is an art to analyzing an area or structure and determining the proper flight profiles and settings that should be used to collect the required image sets.
After submitting your independent hands-on Aerial Mapping and Modeling Projects, our instructor will review your data and present you with customized advice on how to improve.
Many drone services providers would like more drone work.
A significant portion of the high paying contracts for drone services revolve around photogrammetry. There is a high likelihood that you will encounter a project that needs mapping.
The goal for many organizations is to collect as much information as easily as possible with autonomous profiles.
This course focuses on autonomous profiles that are used for this comprehensive data capture methodology.
Sometimes autonomous profiles can’t get the job done.
We also cover how to handle situations where autonomous profiles alone will not provide enough imagery to create a quality map or model, and semi-autonomous or manual flight techniques may also be necessary.
Drone pilots new to collecting aerial mapping data often can’t figure out why their images have holes and distortions.
Our course teaches you the intricacies of identifying the critical components of image datasets that impact orthomosaic map and model quality.
It’s important to understand how to collect your own mapping data, not start with a canned perfect set of data.
Our course teaches you how to consider system capabilities, environmental factors, and client requirements to adapt your plan and capture excellent data sets.
Drone service providers should be able to speak with a client and understand what they need.
Our course teaches you to ask the right questions so that you can land the job and deliver the high quality orthomosaics that will secure long-term clients.
Your guide to drone success:
Meet your instructor
Karl SchwabSoftware and Systems Engineer
Karl is one of DARTdrones’ most experienced instructors with over 25 years in general aviation and 930 hours of time as pilot in command (PIC) of small UAS. Karl has extensive experience teaching and flying drones in the oil and gas industry and has functioned as the consultant and drone pilot for companies such as GE Oil and Gas, CHS, HFOTCO, P66, Total, Armor Energy, Valero, CITGO, Easton Energy, and Lyondellbasell. He also has over 30 years of experience in software and systems engineering working on weapon/turret, command and control, embedded missile and other various types of systems. He is licensed commercially in both Multi and Single-Engine Airplanes with over 1,300 hours of flight time and has an instrument rating. In addition to instructing for DARTdrones, Karl currently designs and implements multi-camera sensor systems for drone platforms and flies commercial sUAS flights near daily. He has been an instructor with DARTdrones since 2016, and teaches our Part 107 Test Prep, Basic Flight Training, Aerial Inspection and Aerial Mapping and Modeling courses for both open enrollment and private clients.
"The best training ever."
This is one of many courses I have taken with DARTdrones. I will be back for more! The best training ever. Colin is a super instructor and willing to share information and keep the class moving and not waste time.
Curriculum Designed to Make You Successful
- Types of Mapping Data
- Types of Mapping Products
- Platform and Payload Considerations
- Mapping for Construction
- Mapping for Agricultural Uses
- Mapping for Engineering and Architecture
- Principles of Photogrammetry
- Photogrammetric Geometry
- Aerial Triangulation
- Photogrammetric Procedures
- Common Coverage Errors
- Spatial Reference Systems
- DroneDeploy Account Levels
- Autonomous Flight Planning
- Collecting Nadir Imagery for 2D Mapping
- Collecting Oblique Imagery for 3D Modeling
- Orbit at End of Mission
- DJI Point of Interest
- Manual Collection
- Map Engine Processing Options
- Map Engine Data Requirements
- Uploading Datasets
- Accessing the Final Product
- Common Issues in Low Quality Maps
- Layers of a DroneDeploy Map
- Analyzing Evaluation Data
- Performing Volumetric Calculations
- Cut, Fill, and Volumetric Measurement Calculation
- Lowest Point and Best Fit Base Planes
- Adjusting Histogram to Change Elevation Values
- Relative vs. Absolute Accuracy
- Project Accuracy Requirements
- Survey-Grade Accuracy
- DroneDeploy Accuracy Levels
- Factors that Improve Map Accuracy
- Techniques to Improve Map Accuracy
- Creating GCPs
- Placing GCPs
- Utilizing the GCP Checklist
- Submitting GCPs in DroneDeploy
- Export Options in DroneDeploy
- Static Layer Export Procedures
- Custom Layer Export Procedures
- Sharing Your Map
- App Market for Enhanced DroneDeploy Capabilities
- AirMap App
- Linear Mapping App
- Overlap Optimizer App
- PDF Annotation Report
- EZRoof App
- Quick Map Overlays App
- Tensor Flight App
- GCP Volume Analysis
- KML & SHP Import
- Thimble App
- AirData UAV Sync App
Independent "Hands-On" Aerial Mapping and Modeling Projects
Students will be given both aerial mapping and structural modeling data collection assignments to gather with their sUAS and upload for processing between classes. The instructor will process the datasets of images gathered by each student and provide feedback on the orthomosaic products generated during the following virtual classroom session.
What You Get
- 12 hours of live virtual training
- Virtual mapping data collection assignments
- Live analysis of data collected
- Live access to expert mapping instructor
- Recordings of the training
Upcoming Virtual Mapping and Modeling Dates
Virtual Mapping and ModelingJuly 15, 22, 29 & Aug 5
Virtual Mapping and ModelingAug 10, 17, 24, & 31
Our curriculum was designed by experts.
Learn from instructors with successful aerial mapping businesses.
Amelia OwreFire Scout UAS Curriculum Developer, Navy Helicopter Pilot
A former Navy helicopter pilot, Amelia flew the SH-60F, HH-60H & MH-60S before transitioning to unmanned systems. She spent 5 years developing curriculum & training for the Navy’s MQ-8 Fire Sco ut UAS, & continues to instruct UAS operators as a current Naval reservist. Amelia is a graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy & holds a Commercial Pilot Certificate.
Why complete the Virtual Mapping and Modeling Workshop with Dartdrones?
Learn the Art of Mapping
Having the ability to collect high quality data in any situation is not easy. Learn from those who have done it before.
Get More High Paying Jobs
Aerial mapping jobs are some the highest paying in the industry. Invest in differentiating yourself with a new highly specialized skill.
Be Confident in Your Skills
Confidently explain to potential clients whether or not a drone can accurately collect the data needed.
Live Access to Mapping Instructor
The training is live with one of our expert instructors. You can ask questions just like in a real classroom.
Comfort of Your Home
Complete comprehensive mapping and modeling training from the comfort of your home.
Save on Travel
Many students travel to our in-person training courses. Save on travel expenses by completing the course from home.